Sunday, August 31, 2014

Want to CHANGE the World?



Today I've been thinking a lot about changing the world. I kinda want to do it.
Actually, I already am, in the most influential ways.

Before you hit me with the humble stick, let me explain:
This is something I have been thinking about a lot lately. People today seem to be on a quest to influence the world in some monumental way.

There are THOUSANDS, maybe MILLIONS of motivational speakers on the internet, or touring elementary, middle, or high schools, and sharing with the world what they are so passionate about. We've all seen these videos, and been inspired by them. There is a reason they are viral. 

Many have started foundations or organizations to help with a cause they feel strongly about. There are people who have lived incredible lives, overcome incredible odds, or done something extrememly momentous or difficult, being featured in TV interviews, having screen plays written about them, or songs being sung about them.

I think this really is an age of motivation, inspiration, and service.
So many people are finding themselves by doing something amazing for other people...and that is contagious.

I am someone who is SO inspired by these people. I yearn to one day volunteer at an orphanage in a far away country, or help a remote village in a crisis, or dig a well for a community who has been with out water for decades. I would love to help with the aftermath of a natural disaster, or be on-scene to give medical assistance to a child who otherwise had no hope. I would love to just hug and hold my sweet brothers and sisters around the world. Sometimes my heart aches for that.

But I know I have another mission, at least right now. Another mission that I feel is even more important.
I absolutely love these people and organizations that are doing so much. I love what they stand for, and I love how incredibly influential they are in helping and even saving people around the world. 

However, I believe if you truly want to change the world, the best thing you can do is to start at home.
One loving mother, father, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, grandparent..etc, can change the life of a child. They can change the atmosphere of a home. They can make their home a haven, not only to their family, but to others. A good parent is changing the world. They influence not only the life of their children, but their children's children and their children. They influence all who know their posterity. You can, and you are, effecting so many for good or ill, by just the way you treat those closest to you.

The funny thing is that we often dream for something "bigger". We chase big dreams. We go on 'soul searching' journeys to distant countries. But sometimes the biggest thing we can do is to start small. To start with the smallest unit we are familiar with...our family.

After we focus on our family, I believe the next group we can have a great affect on is our community. Communities are a collection of various families. When these families become stronger, the entire community grows. You naturally want to be a better neighbor when you feel more love in your home. You look outside yourself. 

There are so many lives that need to be touched in far-off places---other cities, other states, other countries--but what about the lives we can touch right here, wherever you live? What about the neighbors we don't know yet? What about that homeless shelter we've never helped at, or that school that despritely needs volunteers. What about your workplace, school, or block? What can you do to bring people closer and help them feel loved and needed? 

The stronger our families are, the more empowered our communities are. The more we reach out to our community, the stronger are our cities, states, provinces and nations. I belive we can change the world by first changing and loving the lives closest to us. With that said, the problems we see in the world are really a reflection of the loss of core values in communities and families. 

The world needs us to be loving parents, brother, sisters, and grandparents. The future depends on kind neighbors, people who are aware of other's needs, and soft words rather than anger. 

Want to change the world? Me to! 

I challenge you to do two things. Just two.
1) Serve someone in your family everyday for 30 days.
(Make someone's bed, make a meal, clean something without being asked, end an argument, buy a gift, tell someone you love them, put the toothpast cap back on, do the shopping, ask someone what you can do for them, listen, give a head massage, do their favorite hobby with them...etc.)

2) Commit to do one thing to better your community this month.
(Volunteer at a school, homeless shelter, or animal shelter. Give gift cards or waterbottles to a beggar. Meet your neighbors, and invite them over. Pick up litter. Say hello. Donate to a community charity. Volunteer at a local event..etc)
I know you will be amazed at how you change, and how you can be empowered to change lives around you. 

DO IT!

I love my little family! There are never ending opportunities to love and serve them!


No comments:

Post a Comment