Thursday, December 13, 2012

My Facebook Decision

I have made the decision to deactivate my Facebook account until after I graduate in April. There are several reasons for this. For one, I am getting ready to start my last semester, and want/need to use every second possible to make art, or spend time with my husband and son. Second, I want to discipline myself. Do I think I am addicted to FB? Probably not, but I do get on much more than I would like. I hate feeling bound or tethered to something so inconsequential and fleeting. I love the people I associate with on Facebook, and I love being able to keep in touch with them in a matter of seconds, but I really dislike the urges to check and recheck my timeline to see who has commented on my post or who likes my pictures. I dislike some of the negativity that can permeate the home page, and I don't love every image that is posted, true, but the main reason for my decision is completely personal.  I feel that this life is so valuable, so important, I don't want to avoid spending time worrying about how I am perceived, or scanning thousands of status updates. I will not have very much time at all this semester, so I want to use every second to live my dreams. I want to be a successful professional illustrator. This is my last semester, so I want to give my art everything I have. I want to be an author/illustrator as well...so I'd love to work on my poems if I can as well. I am a devout Christian and I believe faith needs to be nourished daily. I want to spend more time in the scriptures and pondering the teachings of my Savior and their applications to my life. I want to have more time to reach out to others, I want to be able to cook dinner for my family. I want to develop new talents and skills. I have set a goal to run a marathon in 8 months, so obviously, that will take time and dedication. Most importantly I want to cherish every second with my wonderful husband and son (who, by the way, seems to grow 2 inches everyday. I can't afford to miss a single moment.)


I  want to live in reality, not in a world of status updates and "likes".

I think there are wonderful things about Facebook, and I have been blessed to keep in touch with so many people that I otherwise would not be able to--wonderful individuals I met and taught while serving a full-time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, old roommates and high school friends, but I think there are other ways to keep in touch. We did it for 2000 + years, right?

 I do not believe Facebook is evil, nor do I judge others for their FB use...this is just a decision I am making for me. Believe me, I better hurry and deactivate before I change my mind! :)

I just wanted to let everyone know. I'll still update my blog every so often, so don't worry about missing out on pictures of Max (yeah right, I take about a bagillion a day).

Facebook, it's been real. See you in April. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment