Thursday, April 24, 2014

The More You GIVE, The More You HAVE

Consider this the sequel to my last post. 
Here comes the WHY.

Anne Frank once said, 
"No one has ever become poor by giving."

Amen Anne! 

I've never been good at math. In fact, I've always been pretty terrible at it. For example, in elementary school, I just wrote down completely random numbers when ever we did those timed math quizzes. Totally random. I think I got one point for my name, that that was it. I might be competitive, but math just isn't my thing, trust me.

So of course, it would seem like a complete "Ariel math-error" when I say the more I GIVE, the more I HAVE, right?

Wrong.

It doesn't always make sense on paper, but I know we have been blessed in powerful, because we were willing to give what we had away. 

Something sacred happens when you become a giver. Gratitude becomes more natural. You become aware of other's needs, and you are blessed to make more with what you have. 

Let me explain. 
In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we believe in the law of tithing. This is a commandment that was practiced anciently (see Genesis 14:7-10), and that we happily continue today. Literally tithe means tenth. We view it as a sacred privilege to give 10% of our income to the Lord. 
This money is then used to build churches, print scriptures, and further the Lord's work in other ways. 
(We pay tithing by filing out a form, putting money in an envelope, and giving it to our bishop.)




In addition to paying tithing, we also give of our substance to help the needy. Once a month we fast, or go without food or drink, for two consecutive meals. We then give the money we would have spent on these meals to the church, or as generous of an amount we can, to care for those who are poor and in need. These are called fast offerings. 

Paying tithing and fast offerings has blessed my life in incredible ways. Literally, we have been blessed with more. It doesn't make sense on paper--and it's not just because of my bad math skills--but time and time again, we have more than enough money even after paying the Lord. We have also been blessed to do more with what we have left. And those are just the temporal blessings. The spiritual blessings are endless. In Malachi chapter 3, it says that the windows of heaven will be poured down as we pay out tithes and offerings. I feel like there has been a spiritual flood in the Cole household. 

I feel strongly that it isn't about the money, it's about faith. Faith that blessing come as you gratefully give of what you have. Faith that regardless of the size of your paycheck, you can help someone, and make the world a better place. 
(I absolutely love the story of the widow's mite. She gave all she had, the amount was of little value. It doesn't matter at all how much we make, or even how much we give in a monetary way.)


Giving is an attitude. In this age of entitlement, giving freely to others does something significant and miraculous to your heart. It changes you. 

If you are not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I'm not saying you have to start giving 10% and then some to a religious organization. Just give of yourself. Giving of your time, talents, energy and resources is just as important as giving money. When it's all said and done, the only real thing you can give is you.

The formula for money works the same way for other areas:
-Want more time, or want to feel more accomplished with the time you have? Give some time to help someone in need. Show sincere love to a family member. Help a neighbor. Don't walk past the elderly woman struggling with her groceries. You'll feel more productive and you'll be able to accomplish more! 

-Want to increase your talents? Share them! Teach someone a skill! Tutor! Volunteer! Help someone serve you by having them teach you something. 

-Want more energy? Look outside of yourself. Want to feel happier? Find someone to help. Want more friends? BE A FRIEND! I can guarantee there is always someone nearby wishing they had more close friends. 

The list could go on and on. I promise the more you serve, the more meaningful you'll life will be--financially, spiritually, emotionally, socially---lets just say every aspect of your life will be blessed as you sincerely give to others. 

How has giving blessed your life?


1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog! You are always so happy and upbeat. I love the blessing it is to pay tithing, too, and to serve. -Allison

    ReplyDelete