Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Secret to a PERFECT Christmas

I love Christmas. We're talking head-over-heels, love Christmas. I adore traditions, carols, holiday food, decor and buying or making gifts for loved ones. I think I already established the fact that I blast my Christmas tunes WAY before December, and I'll admit, I have to fight some serious blues after the 25th, because all the excitement is over.

Except for the two Christmases I was serving as a missionary for my church, I have been home every year. My parents live in the country, and always seem to make Christmas perfect. There is a fire roaring in the fireplace, our eclectic stockings are hung, and pine bows are everywhere.

Every Christmas Eve my parents host a party...which they never really know how many people will come to (because my dad just invites everyone he sees), but the house is always FULL. I love it. I love Christmas for every reason...I'll admit it, I love it for the presents. For the wrapping paper (I LOVE choosing the paper!). For the songs and lights. But especially, I love it for the opportunity to reach out to others.

As a Christian, I celebrate with all my heart the birth of my Savior Jesus Christ, during this time of year.  I try to make a sincere effort to increase my faith in Him, and to help others do the same. To me, Christmas isn't Christmas without heartfelt service. I love finding opportunities to make people smile and spread the Spirit of Christ.

This year we are not going to my parents.
At first, it was really hard for me to accept, but then I realized, Christmas is up to me.
I can make this Christmas the best yet.
I can focus more on others, than on myself.

This year we are finishing school, and we don't have a lot of money for gifts, so my wish list looks a little different. This is really all I want this year.

-Help to bring someone to Christ (specifically, have them accept an invitation to learn about the Gospel of Jesus Christ)
-Have a *perfect* technology- free day (and do something fun as a family)
-Invite random people to a Christmas Eve party (I don't mean TOTAL strangers...just people I don't know as well)
-Consistently have family prayer in the morning and night
-Study topics like faith, love, and obedience in my daily personal scripture study.
-Find a random person to help
-Try for a completely sarcastic-free month (Something I struggle with).

Really, the food, gifts and parties are all just fluff. The best part of Christmas is feeling the special spirit of Christmas, which I believe, is really the spirit of Christ...or the joy we feel because of His influence and power. What an exciting time of year! We can make a great difference in the world, not just during December, but all year long. Lets reach out to someone, Lets commit to change something about ourselves. Lets spend more time with loved ones.
  Whether you share my beliefs or not, or even whether you celebrate Christmas or not, everyday is up to you! You can live for yourself, and have a good life, or you can life for others and have a great, full life. I do not have a perfect life, and I am NOT a perfect person, but I am so happy! I feel so blessed, and just want to share that, even if it is in the tiniest way.
Christmas flashback age 10. I wish I would have kept that ugly sweater!

I love you.
Joy to the World, and Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment