Friday, September 20, 2013

Having Children is the Best Bucket-List

Having children is a blessing. 
Central to my Christian beliefs is my understanding that we are all children of God. 
Every person, regardless of their beliefs, behavior, appearance, desires and lifestyle is a special individual. 
One of the greatest gifts we have been given is the ability to procreate, or to come together with someone we love and have children. I believe this is a divine gift that God intended to be employed between husbands and wives. 

In Genesis 1:28 God is presenting the garden of Eden to Adam and Eve.

"And God blessed them, and God said unto them, be fruitful, and multiply and replenish the earth..." (KJV)

I believe this is a powerful commandment that is still in effect today. 

It takes faith to have children and to make that a priority, that is for sure.
It is not easy. 
It is not popular. It is easy to see how world travel, education, employment, and other worthy goals would get in the way. 

I am not discounting these ambitions. I am a dreamer and a goal oriented person. I believe in getting as much education as you can, in bucket-lists and working hard to better yourself.

But. I know 1) We can be a parent and still reach many wonderful, ambitious goals. Becoming a parent shouldn't be looked at as an alternative to your hopes and dreams, but as a an avenue to reach your greatest hope and dreams. And, 2) that deciding to have children will open an entire world you didn't know existed. Get ready to feel more compassion than you ever thought possible. Get ready to have more joy. Get ready to become more self-less. 

Having children is a lot of work, but I promise it is worth it. 

Having children is also expensive. On paper, it doesn't make sense. Maybe you are barely making ends meet with just the two of you...so why would you bring another mouth to feed into the world? There are so many people already, and so many who are having children. Do I really need to have a family of my own? 

I believe it is a matter of faith. I know the Lord will provide, and you will have enough. There is no such thing as too many children in the world.
Deciding when to have children and how many to have is a decision that is between husband and wife, and the Lord.

For those sweet couples who haven't been able to have children, or for those wonderful women who haven't found the right person to marry, God bless you for your righteous desires.  I believe you will have so many blessings in this life because you want to have children..whether or not you are able to. I also believe that in the next life, you will have that opportunity. 

The Lord has a plan. 
And the family is central to that plan.


I am so grateful that I am a mother. I have grown in so many ways, more than I could have ever dreamed. My marriage is stronger, and, I have been blessed to reach many other goals as well (finish my education, improve in running, work as a freelance illustrator..)
I love my life, and wouldn't change a thing.

Check out a wonderful video about this topic HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment